Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Preview a Book Online: The School for Good and Evil

The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1)


So who out there is familiar with the First Look Program by Harper Collins?  It doesn't exist anymore but is was my original first stop when I began reviewing books.  They were the ones who also helped me to find my way to Goodreads.  Now,  HarperCollins has changed it into a Browse Inside feature, which I am kinda liking.  It's a nice way of seeing whether a book is a match for you or not.  This was the book on offer at the moment.  The first six chapters are available to read and preview.  Here's the link if you want to check it out. http://browseinside.harpercollinschildrens.com/index.aspx?isbn13=9780062104892




I'm not going to go into much detail about what it's about, I think the name kinda says it all.  I for one really love the cover.  I saw an interview with Soman Chainani, who said he grew up watching Disney movies and I'm paraphrasing when I say that it had an influence on him writing this story.  I can really see that reflected in the cover art and I'm not just saying that cause of the castles in the background (but the one on the left does make me think of Cinderella).  Overall, I think this book will be popular with middle graders who enjoy fairy-tale retellings.  

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up about the preview feature! Glad you stopped by my blog so I could find this one. :) I need to read more middle grade since I teach in an elementary school. I tend to read YA the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great feature, and this particular book had quite a few chapters to read.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the heads up on the HarperCollins feature. I got a paper ARC of this from Baker and Taylor. They have an ARC program for librarians, and I git enrolled in it by contacting my sales rep. Didn't care much for this ne, but then I have had several years without many fantasy fans, and that certainly drives my collection development!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I certainly think you have the pulse of your students.

      Delete