Monday, July 29, 2013

Pippi Goes on Board by Astrid Lindgren

Pippi Goes on BoardI so loved Pippi when I was growing up. 
Once, I even slept with my feet on my pillow and head under the covers.  Pippi seemed to have it all, money,  is incredibly strong, lives  in Villa Vllekulla with her monkey Mr. Nilsson and a horse who lives on the porch.  Plus, Pippi was always good for an adventure. Pippi Goes on Board is separated into kind of mini stories. Pippi goes shopping, writes a letter, goes to school, the fair, and ultimately decides that she, Tommy and Annika should get shipwrecked, on purpose no less.  So you know there are defiantly going to be some antics but most of all an adventure.   In the story where Pippi goes shopping with Tommy and Annika, she decides that she wants to buy a piano. "But, Pippi, says Tommy, you can't play the piano, can you?"  and Pippi replies, "How can I tell, when I've never tried? I've never had any piano to try on.  And this much I can tell you, Tommy-to play the piano without any piano, that takes a powerful lot of practicing."  There are quotes throughout the book that demonstrate Pippi's wisdom and special way of looking at the world which makes this a wonderful summer time read for me.  I especially love how Pippi is reunited with her father at the end.  A very touching moment follows.  I would put this book for 8-11 year olds.  My review copy was purchased.  

No comments:

Post a Comment